I know Thanksgiving is still a week away, but for the over-achievers and pre-planners out there, I wanted to go ahead and give you some leftover turkey meal inspiration. This way you can plan to have everything you need on hand to get you through December 1st and not have to brave throngs of hungry people at the grocery store the weekend after Thanksgiving. And we can truly be excited about our leftovers – yay for healthy ways to use leftover turkey! Is it obvious I’m a planner and think way to far ahead???
1. Turkey Tortilla Soup from Fine Cooking- Thanksgiving dinner never has enough sassy spices for me. This Tex-Mex flavored soup fixes that and, in my opinion, makes the leftovers taste better than the original meal.
2. Tamale Pie from Pinch of Yum- use up any leftover cornbread mix and sub turkey for the chicken. Trust me, once you’ve made this, you’ll want to make it all winter long.
3. Turkey, Potato, and Leek Pie from Cooking Light – sub chicken with turkey and use leftover pie crusts – it’s a good idea to buy/make extra pie crusts for pot pies post-Thanksgiving. Trust me on this one.
4. Lemon Turkey and Orzo Soup aka “Turkey Soup for the Soul.” Use shredded turkey in place of the chicken and be thankful you have a way to use up leftover poultry herbs.
5. Chipotle Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes = sweet + heat. Sub turkey for chicken and re-purpose baked sweet potatoes. Great for post-turkey day football watching!
6. Asian Soba Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing – some of us have to work the day after/weekend after Thanksgiving. Why not pack a good lunch to lessen the pain of returning to work? Adding shredded turkey to this fresh flavor-packed one-bowl meal makes packing lunch a cinch.
7. Basil Pesto Turkey and Farro Salad – Let’s face it. You and I both know we will be craving something light and healthy when we wake up from our Thanksgiving food comas. This salad is your ticket back to good health. Sub turkey for chicken and use sliced apples, pears, or grapes in place of nectarines.