Today we are getting steakhouse style fancy in the kitchen with sous vide strip steak and a luscious spinach artichoke risotto!
This year’s Valentine meal was enjoyed a bit early – on a Saturday night – since a fancy Tuesday dinner did not fit in so well with our work week schedule. Do you know what I mean??? I hate when holidays fall in the middle of the week. But, you just move on and celebrate when you can. This year we decided to cook a fancy meal together that involved using a new kitchen tool that I’m super stoked to tell you about – a sous vide cooker!
What’s a Sous Vide Cooker?
A sous vide cooker is basically a secret that restaurant chefs have kept to themselves for many years – but the secret has been out for a while and is quickly gaining in popularity among home cooks! It’s a tool that’s used to cook foods gently and evenly over a longer period while submerged in a water bath. This is how chefs achieve remarkably consistent results with steaks, fish, and more because it’s a precise and accurate method of cooking.
How it Works:
The cooker works by heating water to a precise temperature that you set, holding the temperature of the water steady, and circulating the heated water around the food as it cooks. The food is sealed in a vacuum package OR placed in a freezer-safe plastic bag before cooking.
Why Sous Vide Cooking is Awesome
- Set it and forget it – like slow cooking in a Crock Pot, sous vide cooking is great because it’s a hands-off technique. While the cooking time is much shorter (typically 1-2 hours for steak), you can do all of your other dinner prep while your steak cooks and not worry about it being overcooked!
- Even cooking – since hot water is continually circulated around the food, you can be sure that your steak will the exact doneness that you want throughout every bite. This is how fancy steakhouses achieve that perfect medium-rare throughout an entire cut of beef.
- You can cook pretty much any food this way – chicken, fish, pork, veggies, eggs – the possibilities are endless!
Learn More About Sous Vide Cooking:
- Anova Precision Cooker – this is the device I use for sous vide cooking and highly recommend. Their site offers how-to videos, recipes, tips and more!
- Serious Eats’ Guide to Sous Vide Cooking – this guide tells you everything you could possibly want to know about sous vide cooking and is my favorite resource for learning about the technique. They have temperature charts, recipes, step-by-step photos, and info on cooking every type of food.
Are you intrigued?? I hope so! Seriously, this is a really cool technique and tool to add to your kitchen arsenal that you will use time and time again! I just love how hands-off it is. It was so easy to cook my steak while having extra time to make a luscious risotto to go with it.
Once the steak was done, I recruited Ryan to stir and finish off the risotto while I seasoned the cooked steak and gave it a quick sear to get a lovely brown crust on it. It was a fun team effort at the end and we had a steakhouse quality meal ready in no time with little effort – not to mention less than half the cost of what we would have paid for a “Valentine’s Dinner for Two!”
Shop the kitchen tools used for this recipe:
Did you make this sous vide strip steak recipe? If so, I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below or upload a picture of your creation to Insta or Twitter with the tag @sweetcayenne5.2