Practiced a bit of self-care this past Sunday and whipped up this make-ahead Caramelized Banana Blueberry Oatmeal for breakfast during the week. It was a GOOD decision. It’s the perfect way to start off weekdays right with a warm, comforting, healthy breakfast!
Caramelized Banana Blueberry Baked OatmealPrint Pin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large bananas sliced in half lengthwise and then into half moon pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups milk I used 1%
- 1 large egg
- Optional toppings: nut butter maple syrup, extra milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep dish pie pan or a square baking dish (8x8 or 9x9).
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and brown sugar and melt, stirring to incorporate. Once the butter and sugar have melted together, stir in the sliced bananas. Simmer and cook over medium heat until the bananas are softened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and cinnamon, and transfer the bananas to the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
- Let the mixture cool slightly in the dish, and then add the blueberries on top of the bananas.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly on top of the fruit mixture in the baking dish.
- Measure out 2 cups of milk in a liquid measuring cup. Add the egg and whisk to combine. Pour the milk and egg mixture evenly over the oats.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the mixture is set and lightly golden brown on top. Remove from heat and serve warm with desired toppings.
- Oatmeal reheats beautifully in the microwave and will keep in the refrigerator for ready-to-eat breakfast for 3-4 days.