These Grocery Shopping Day Chicken Tacos – also known as Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Tacos if you want to be fancy about things – are my go-to dinner on days when I’ve had a mammoth grocery shopping + errand running day and just don’t want to cook.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Let’s just all collectively nod our heads and agree that days – or even half-days – devoted to grocery shopping and errand-running can tend to be a real doozy. Don’t get me wrong – I’m INCREDIBLY grateful for the ability to buy food that I want and need, for farmers, and the safe food supply that we have here in America. BUT. That doesn’t mean grocery shopping and errand-running can’t be tiresome and sometimes irritating. And if you’re anything like me, your type A personality tends to succumb the urge to reorganize the fridge and pantry each time new groceries are added. And then dinner needs to get on the table…and you’re tired. Good news, my friends – today I’m sharing with you my go-to meal for this type of day: GROCERY STORE CHICKEN TACOS. I love these because:
- They are quick and easy.
- My husband loves them. The family and friends I’ve shared them with love them.
- They taste amazing – like gourmet restaurant tacos.
- If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day, you have a fabulous lunch to look forward to.
Let’s make some!
Ingredients for Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
For these fabulous tacos, you will need:
- A fresh, hot, and juicy rotisserie chicken.
- A bag of Southwest salad mix (what’s in these will vary by the brand – just grab whatever has a Chipotle or Avocado Ranch dressing in the bag). I love the Taylor Farms brand and the Member’s Mark version at Sam’s Club.
- Tortillas – if you’re lucky enough to live in Texas near a Central Market, get the freshly-made corn and wheat tortillas. But any corn and wheat blend will do – I love the one that Trader Joe’s sells, and also La Tortilla Factory’s version.
- Optional: ripe avocado, fresh lime, and Mexican hot sauce (like Cholula or Tapatio).
How to Make Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- Slice and shred the meat from the Rotisserie chicken. Use light meat, dark meat, or both. Hang on to that chicken skin because…
- Cut up pieces of the chicken skin and crisp them up in a pan. Now this is where the chef in me has a fight with the dietitian in me and the chef wins. Trust me. You want to do this step and a few crumbles of chicken skin every now and then is not going to hurt you. This step MAKES these tacos something really special.
- Warm the tortillas – you can do this in a tortilla warmer, on a plate in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel, or in a skillet. You do you here!
- Toss together the salad greens and the mix-ins (reserve the dressing) – whatever greens and mix-ins came in your salad kit, throw them in a bowl and toss them up. Cut a little slit in the dressing packet and use it for squeezing drizzles onto your tacos.
- Fill tortillas with chicken, then top with salad, crispy chicken skin, drizzles of the dressing, avocado, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!
And badda bing, badda boom. You’ve got a meal of delicious, filling, and healthy-ish tacos ready to go!
Are you ready to make these Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Tacos? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you! Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes! I’d also love to feature your creation in my monthly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram or Twitter with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured!
*PLEASE rate and comment on the recipe if you make it! This helps others find the recipe in search engines!*
Southwest Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, sliced and shredded, with the skin reserved
- 8 6-inch corn and wheat blend tortillas (I recommend the La Tortilla Factory brand)
- 1 bag Southwest salad mix kit (I love the Taylor Farms and Member's Mark Sam's Club versions)
- Optional: slices of avocado, fresh lime wedges, and Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula or Tapatio)
- Slice and shred the meat from the rotisserie chicken. Cut pieces of the skin into 1'' pieces.
- Place a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the pieces of chicken skin to the oil and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Warm the tortillas, either in a tortilla warmer, in a skillet, or under a damp paper towel in the microwave.
- Empty the contents of the salad kit (the greens and mix-ins) in a bowl and toss together. Reserve the dressing and cut a small slit in the top corner of the package.
- Fill the warm tortillas with chicken, then top with the salad mix, crispy chicken skin, and drizzles of the dressing. Optional toppings include slices of fresh avocado, squeezes of lime juice, or a dash of Mexican hot sauce. ENJOY!
Pin this, pretty please!