Wanna eat something that will make you feel like a superhero? Good, cuz' I've got just recipe - this Tuna Superfood Power Salad is supercharged with all the good things that superhero wannabes need.
This salad was made at a time where I was in dire need of a diet/eating reset. We spent Labor Day weekend in Nashville and I ate all the things. Sausage biscuits with locally made peach jam. My first Jenni's Ice Cream. Doughnuts. BBQ. Burgers. Brownies. A few redemptive chunks of watermelon were thrown in here and there.
I came home to get the work week started and reached for the smooth move tea. Then I thought - "wait, I can do better than this." I wanted to eat something that was good, tasty, flavor-filled,fiber-packed, filling, and that would make good work lunch leftovers the next day. I also wanted to feel really good after I ate it - recharged and reset. What a tall order!
That's when my pantry came to the rescue - farro = fiber. Check. Walnuts = superfood + fiber. Check. Canned tuna = protein + power. Check. Things were looking good. Then some cherry tomatoes in the fridge and my almost-forsaken basil plant on the back porch called out "don't forget about us!!!" And there you have it - well, almost. I threw in a handful of olives and shavings of parm for a salty, briny bite. My treasured EVOO from Italy wrapped all the ingredients in a fresh, green, fruity hug.
My belly was happy. My taste buds were happy. I felt super good about what I ate. Cravings were satisfied. And that's the happy ending to this Tuna Superfood Power Salad Story.
What have you been craving lately? Do any particular foods make you feel like a superhero? Tell me all of it - your comments make my day!
Tuna Superfood Power Salad
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 (3.5 oz) can tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- ¾ cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup green olives, sliced in half
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons good quality, first pressed extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange ingredients on a serving platter according to the order they are listed. Finish with drizzles of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days and are best served at room temperature.
If you like this salad, you may enjoy my Farro Rissoto, 5 Minute Tuna Melts, or this Farro, Tomato and Arugula Pesto salad! Tag me if you make it on Twitter or Insta with @sweetcayenne5 - I'd love to hear how the recipe turned out for you!