A rare egg recipe is making an appearance today - believe or not, this Crustless Veggie Quiche is one of the few ways that I will eat eggs for breakfast!
It's true - I am not an egg lover. That's why you don't see any egg-centric recipes on Sweet Cayenne. Many a time, I have looked longingly at pictures of trendy food topped with a just-cut fried egg with the yolk oozing out. It looks so pretty! Pizza, ramen bowls, shakshuka, I'd love to eat all of those with a beautiful egg on top, but I just can't! Eggs just kinda gross me out, unless they are used in baking. The only ways I can tolerate them at breakfast are scrambled with a load of cheese or in a quiche, like this one!
This quiche is a lightened up, crustless version that you can modify and fill with pretty much whatever you have on hand! Just keep the ratio of veggies the same (2 cups of leafy greens, 2 cups of other veg) and you will be good. Sometimes I like to add meat to the veggie mixture or change up the cheese varieties. Bacon + spinach + artichokes + Parmesan is a favorite combo, as well as Italian chicken sausage + roasted peppers + mozzarella. There are so many possibilities!
VideoI chose this butternut squash + kale + mushroom combo because those veggies are in season right now, and I had leftover squash + kale from the pizza I had made earlier in the week. I love to do that - plan 2-3 different recipes that use the same veggies or similar ingredients so that I don't let any produce go to waste.
This recipe is a wonderful option to serve at brunch when you also have a sweet, heavy carb option on the menu. It's light, healthy, colorful, and full of protein. I like to serve it with cinnamon drop biscuits, cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, scones, muffins, you get the picture!
And hey! - Here is a step by step video on how to put this recipe together. Check it out and let me know what you think! Of course, you can scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe just like in all my other recipe posts.
If you get the chance to give it a try, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you! Leave a comment below or upload a pic to Instagram or Twitter with @sweetcayenne5. Your feedback is so helpful and your comments make my day!
Crustless Winter Veggie Quiche
- Olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash diced into ¼’’ pieces
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced into ¼’’ thick pieces
- 2 cups kale torn into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced fat small curd cottage cheese
- ½ cup reduced fat evaporated milk
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup all-purpose flour or a gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup Swiss cheese shredded
- Your favorite hot sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle a bit of olive oil in the skillet and add the butternut squash. Saute until fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute an additional 3 minutes. Add the kale and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and salt, and stir to combine. Remove the veggies from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cottage cheese, evaporated milk, cheddar cheese, eggs, and egg whites until well combined. Add the flour and baking powder, whisk until combined.
- Spray a 9’’ pie dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle the bottom of the dish with the Swiss cheese. Place the sauteed veggie mixture on top of the cheese. Use a rubber spatula to spread the cottage cheese mixture on top of the veggies.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool slightly for 5 minutes. Serve hot with hot sauce on top, if desired.