Happy Weekend! Wanted to check in with you and share my most favorite, most beloved, mostly gone after just 2 days banana bread recipe! Banana bread is pretty basic; and pretty much EVERYONE has their own version.
BUT - I figured there needs to be at least ONE version of banana bread on my food blog, and this is my favorite one!
I'm sharing this recipe as part of the Recipe Redux monthly recipe roundup. The month of February was chosen to feature favorite chocolate pairings, and can you really think of a better month to let chocolate be the star of the show! I have to say that I can't really put my finger on a favorite chocolate pairing.....I like chocolate with pretty much everything. Fruit. Ice Cream. Potato Chips. Nuts. Pretzels. Popcorn. Baked goods. Steak rubs. Coffee. Cheese. Need I go on? But the reality of the situation is that I had 3 bananas that had been sitting in my fruit bowl for that were mere hours from expiring past the point of no return, so I knew that banana bread must be made. STAT.
Chocolate and bananas became a favorite pairing of mine when I was 10 years old. That's when I had my first frozen banana dipped in chocolate at my beloved Custard Corner (the locally owned ice cream stand I worked at for 9 years as a youngun'). I then went on to discover chocolate banana milkshakes (my regular Sonic order), chocolate banana bread pudding, and chocolate banana peanut butter sandwiches. It's been a very fulfilling relationship and I hope chocolate, bananas and I remain friends for many years to come. So what's your favorite chocolate pairing? I'd love to hear about it in the comments section below!
Connect with us on the once a week newsletter, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 large bananas)
- ⅓ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 large eggs flax or chia egg substitutes will work fine too
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup powdered peanut butter such as PB 2
- ¼ ground flaxseed toasting the flaxseeds and grinding them fresh will result in the best flavor and maximum nutrition
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate almond spread from Trader Joe's Nutella or similar is fine too
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bow, combine the bananas, yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with a stand or hand mixer until well incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered peanut butter, flaxseed, baking soda, and salt.Gradually add this to the wet ingredients until just combined; being careful not to over mix.
- Microwave the chocolate almond spread for 30 seconds. It should be melted when you stir it. If not, continue to heat for 15 second increments until it's melted.
- Fold the melted chocolate spread and chocolate chips into the banana bread batter. You should see swirls of melted chocolate throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and cooked through the center. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and then remove the bread from the loaf pan to the wire rack to cool completely.
[inlinkz_linkup id=489672 mode=1]
I love the chocolate spin on this classic recipe
Deanna Segrave-Daly says
YUM! I'll be baking this one soon 🙂