This Easy 5 Minute Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn is my go-to dish when I need to whip up a quick treat for house guests or take to a party…
…and if I’m honest, this recipe is also my go-to dinner recipe when Ryan is gone and I’m home alone just wanting to Netflix my girly shows (hello Grey’s Anatomy!) and chill. A cheesy, salty snack finished off with a little ice cream is just the ticket sometimes, you know? And that’s ok!
Here’s a quick video to show you how I make this Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn:
Honesty, this stuff is INSANELY delicious, which is why it’s good to just make small portion if it’s just for yourself! But I made a double batch for a birthday party recently and everyone went nuts over it! It’s kind of like a Spicy Cheetos situation in the flavor department, so you can probably understand why it was so popular!
Some of my favorite tips and tools for making popcorn are:
- A Whirly Pop – it really makes the best popcorn since the pot gets seasoned over time. You really don’t need much oil at all to produce an amazing flavor!
- Add seasonings to a little bit of melted butter – fat is a vehicle for carrying flavor, so I find that when I add seasonings (in this case, the buffalo sauce) to melted butter before pouring it on the popcorn, the flavor gets distributed very evenly!
- Powdered cheddar cheese is life changing. Really and truly! I got mine at an Amish market in Tennessee, but here’s a link to some you can get on Amazon!
If you get a chance to try this Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn, it would totally make my day to know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below, or feel free to post a photo on Instagram or Twitter with tag @sweetcayenne5. I’ll be featuring photos and comments from readers in my newsletter that will come out at the end of the month!
You may also want to check out my Blackberry Lime Spritzers – this mocktail would be delicious to serve with the popcorn!
Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- ¼ cup of popcorn kernels (or 3 cups of popped popcorn kernels)
- 2 teaspoons of unsalted butter, melted (you can also use Smart Balance Buttery Spread or Earth Balance Buttery Spread)
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite buffalo wing sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese powder* (see note) (you could also use nutritional yeast)
- Place the Whirly Pop over medium-low heat on the stovetop. Add the oil, and heat for 30 seconds. Add the popcorn, and turn the crank to stir it continuously until all of the popcorn has popped. Pour the popcorn into a large container with a lid.
- Stir the buffalo sauce into the melted butter. Drizzle the mixture over the popped corn, and then sprinkle on the salt and powdered cheese. Place the lid on the container and shake vigorously to evenly coat the popcorn. Transfer popcorn to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Pin this, pretty please!