This recipe for sweet and smoky roasted plantains is such a fun, easy side dish to serve with any Mexican-style meal! When I first had them I was in Costa Rica for my honeymoon. After being amazed at how wonderful plantains are, I committed to working these into my rotation.
Here's how I make these plantains:How much do I looooooooove plantains??? A whole, whole lot. So much so, that I will order them off ANY menu that has them. I first got on a plantain kick when Ryan and I went on our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I had never eaten them up to that point, but the hotel we stayed at served them every morning for breakfast. They were skillet-fried and golden-brown with a crunchy sugar crust. Seriously, eating plantains every day was one of the highlights of the trip for us both and we still talk about it to this day!
While traditional South American cooking calls for many plantain dishes to be fried, I have found that roasting them in the oven is just as delicious as the deep-fried or skillet-fried versions! Oven-roasting means that you will be using MUCH less fat in the cooking process, and in my opinion, is a lot easier than frying something. Not to mention less mess to clean up afterward - count me in!
These oven-roasted plantains get a huge flavor boost from a sweet and smoky rub that I developed to keep on hand for things like sweet potato fries, roasted chickens, and butternut squash. The plantains make a perfect quick and easy side dish that goes with any of the following:
- Tacos (especially the Pork Tenderloin Tacos from earlier this week!)
- Taco or fajita salads
- Pozole or Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Black Beans and Mexican Rice
- Jamaican food
- Blackened or grilled fish
So many possibilities! If you decide to give these easy Sweet and Smoky Roasted Plantains a try, let me know what you think in the comments below.
This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
I’d also love to feature your creation in my weekly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured! Quick and easy recipe videos are available on my YouTube channel, and lots of menu inspiration on my Pinterest boards.
Sweet and Smoky Roasted Plantains
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 whole very ripe plantains
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Peel the plantains and slice them into 2 halves. Slice each half lengthwise. You should have 16 halves total.
- Place the halves cut side up on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on the tops of each half. Use your fingers to rub the mixture into the plantain halves. Spray the tops of the plantains lightly with the cooking spray.
- Roast the plantains for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer the plantains to a platter and serve while hot!