This recipe for a Banana Almond Butter Chimichanga is a great way to take classic PB&J and takes it to the next level by really making it something special!
Watch this short video to see how I make this Banana Almond Butter Chimichanga (55 sec):
Do any of you ever purposefully run out of food before you leave for a trip? I certainly do – the last thing I want to come home to after being away is a fridge full of rotting/expired food items! Before I left to spend a month in Italy with a study abroad trip, I let our food supply run down to be embarrassingly low, while at the same time trying to stock the freezer with meals for Ryan. It’s hard for a foodie like myself dwindle the food supply because A. I like options and B. it’s kind of depressing for me if a meal isn’t super tasty because it’s nothing special!
All that to say, some of the last ingredients I was left with before leaving on the trip were items for PB&J – or in my case, AB&J sans bread and sub in with a Flat Out Wrap! But I wanted to turn the ingredients into something special that would satisfy my cravings for a hot meal. So the almond Banana Almond Butter Chimichanga was born!
What is a banana almond butter chimichanga?
Traditionally, a chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito that you find on many Tex Mex and Southwestern restaurant menus. I’m putting a peanut butter and jelly twist on it and filling a hearty whole grain wrap with almond butter, banana, and my favorite strawberry jam. What really takes it to the next level is crisping the wrap in a hot skillet so that the flavors of the nut butter, jam, and banana melt together as the inside of the burrito gets warm and gooey! What tastes like a dessert is actually a wholesome combo of protein, fiber, and heart-healthy fats!
Tips for making a banana almond butter chimichanga:
- Use a good whole grain wrap – my favorite is the Flatout brand because it is high in fiber and protein!
- Get the wrap nice and golden brown over medium-low heat with a little bit of oil added to the pan for flavor.
- Once the wrap is crisp, reduce the heat to low and continue to gently heat so that the banana and fillings get nice and hot!
- Serve right away for best texture and flavor, but feel free to reheat the wrap in the oven at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes to make it crispy again!
If you get a chance to try this Banana Almond Butter Chimichanga, please let me know by leaving a comment, or feel free to post a photo on Instagram or Twitter with tag @sweetcayenne5. I’ll be featuring photos and comments from readers in my newsletter that will come out at the end of the month!
Banana Almond Butter Chimichangas
- 1 whole Flatout brand Wrap, multigrain flavor
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 medium banana
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- While the skillet heats, spread the almond butter and jam in the center of the wrap.
- Slice the banana into 3 large pieces and place on top of the almond butter/jam.
- Wrap up the banana burrito-style.
- Add a little oil to the preheat skillet and cook the wrap for about 1 minute per side until golden brown and crispy. Serve hot!
- Nutella + Banana + Almond Butter
- Pecan Butter + Banana + Peach Jam
- Sliced berries + Banana + Peanut Butter
Pin this, pretty please!