This recipe for an Almond Butter Banana Chimichanga is a healthy, easy banana recipe that is great for a kid-friendly lunch, snack, or even dessert!
About the recipe:
This easy banana chimichanga recipe is one of the prized recipes I keep in my arsenal of dishes that help me get a meal on the table quickly. Whether it's lunch, a lazy dinner, or even when I make a half-size for a healthy dessert, they never fail to satisfy because of the crispy exterior and gooey, melty interior!
Traditionally, a chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito that you find on many Tex Mex and Mexican-American restaurant menus. They are indulgent for sure, but if you get a good one, it's totally worth the splurge!
I'm putting a peanut butter and jelly twist on it and filling a hearty whole-grain wrap with almond butter, banana, and my favorite strawberry jam. You can change it up easily by using any nut or seed butter, jam flavor, or even subbing in honey or Nutella for the jam.
What really takes this dish to the next level is crisping the wrap in a hot skillet so that the flavors of the nut butter, jam, and banana melt together as the inside of the burrito gets warm and gooey!
- 1 whole grain tortilla or wrap - use gluten-free if needed
- 2 tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter - use sunflower seed butter for nut allergies
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam - or any other flavor of jam or Nutelle
- 1 medium banana
Step 1: Preheat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. While the skillet heats spread the almond butter and jam in the center of the wrap.
Step 2: Slice the banana into 3 large pieces and place on top of the almond butter/jam. Wrap up the banana burrito-style.
Step 3: Add a little butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil to the preheated skillet and cook the wrap for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. If the skillet gets too hot, turn the heat to low and let the wrap sit inside for another couple of minutes so the filling warms throughout. Serve hot!
Since this is such a quick and easy recipe, I'd recommend serving it with something equally as simple:
- Veggie sticks with Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing or hummus
- A side salad, like this Simple Kale Salad
- A yogurt cup for calcium and protein
- Wedges of cheese or a string cheese
Are you ready to make this Almond Butter Banana Chimichanga? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you!
Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
I’d also love to feature your creation in my weekly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured! Quick and easy recipe videos are available on my YouTube channel, and lots of menu inspiration on my Pinterest boards.
Almond Butter Banana Chimichangas
- 1 large whole grain wrap, or gluten-free wrap
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (substitute w/ any nut or seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam (substitute with any jam, honey, or Nutella
- 1 medium banana
- Preheat a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- While the skillet heats, spread the almond butter and jam in the center of the wrap.
- Slice the banana into 3 large pieces and place on top of the almond butter/jam.
- Wrap up the banana burrito-style.
- Add a little butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil to the preheated skillet and cook the wrap for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. Reduce the heat if it gets to hot and let the wrap get warm inside over low heat. Slice and serve while hot!