When I want an easy and delicious meatless meal option, I turn to this recipe for 5-Ingredient Mediterranean Veggie Tostadas. It's a healthy vegetarian recipe with lots of plant-based protein, color, and Mediterranean flavor that is so satisfying!
About the recipe
Sometimes life calls for a big plate of vegetables. Call it cravings, your body's intuition, or the result of a day (or two) of indulgent eating. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!
When this situation occurs, I start racking my brain, cookbooks, or recipe archives for the best ever vegetarian recipes. This Mediterranean Veggie Tostada is in that category. It basically combines the concept of a Mexican tostada with fresh Mediterranean flavor that results in a colorful, quick, and plant-based protein-filled meal!
When I'm developing a meatless meal recipe, it has to check a few boxes that will satisfy the dietitian, chef, AND the busy business owner in me:
- High protein - both my husband and I try to stay as active as possible. When we have a meatless meal, we focus on getting in a good amount of plant-based protein so that we feel full, satisfied, and energized hours after the meal.
This recipe uses a high protein wrap and frozen vegetable + grain blend to achieve this goal.
- Colorful- the dietitian in me aims for a lot of variety in my diet so that I don't miss out on any essential vitamins and minerals. Color = variety in my book, and the visual appeal that a colorful meal has is always welcome.
These vegetarian tostadas are full of colorful produce from using a mixed frozen veggie blend and fresh spring mix greens.
- Convenient + gourmet - as a busy business owner, I appreciate convenient foods like frozen vegetable blends and the storebought hummus that is used to make this quick tostada.
- Whole grain or high-protein tortilla wraps - I use L’oven Red Pepper Hummus Wraps from Aldi
- Frozen mixed vegetables - I use Birds Eye Steamfresh Protein Blends - Tuscan Style. This blend is completely vegan!
- Lettuce - spring mix or baby butter lettuces are my favorites for this recipe
- Your favorite homemade vinaigrette - like this 5 Ingredient Lemon Tahini Dressing or Fresh Mint Vinaigrette
- Crisp the tortilla wraps in the oven.
- Cook the frozen veggie blend according to package directions.
- Spread the crispy tortillas with hummus.
- Top the tostada with veggies, lettuce, and vinaigrette.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use a piece of toasted pita or naan bread in place of the tortilla wrap for a flatbread version.
- Replace the hummus with your favorite bean-based dip or spread.
- Use a pan of fresh or leftover roasted mixed vegetables in place of the frozen vegetables.
- Top the tostada with a sprinkling of feta or goat cheese crumbles.
- Add an element of crunch and healthy fats with some chopped toasted nuts, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds.
Are you ready to make these vegan Mediterranean Veggie Tostadas? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you!
Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
Mediterranean Veggie Tostadas
- 4 8-10 inch whole grain or high-protein tortilla wraps (I use L’oven Red Pepper Hummus wrap from Aldi)
- 1 (11-ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (I use Birds Eye Steamfresh Protein Blends - Tuscan Style)
- 1 cup hummus
- 4 cups spring mix lettuce
- ½ cup of your favorite vinaigrette (like this 5-Ingredient Lemon Tahini Dressing or Fresh Mint Vinaigrette)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place tortilla wraps flat on two baking sheets. Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- While the tortillas are baking, saute or steam the bag of frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Top each tortilla with ¼ cup of hummus, ¼ of the vegetable blend, 1 cup of lettuce, and 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Similar recipes to enjoy: