Disclosure statement: For this blog post, I've partnered with StarKist E.V.O.O.™ to showcase this delicious 5-Ingredient Tuna Melt Wrap.
This easy recipe for a 5-Ingredient Tuna Melt Wrap is one of my favorite options for a quick and nutritious meal. The wrap is loaded with lean protein, healthy fats, and vibrant Mediterranean flavor.
Did you know that May is Mediterranean Diet Month? As a registered dietitian and chef, the Mediterranean diet is the healthy eating pattern I have adopted as part of my lifestyle. This way of eating encourages me to include the variety of nutritious foods I need to keep my meals exciting, fresh, colorful, and full of flavor!
The Mediterranean diet recommends that most of the foods we eat come from plants like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. It also advises that seafood be enjoyed at least twice per week as a source of protein and heart + brain-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids.
The tuna and salmon pouches from StarKist E.V.O.O.™ have become a convenient and delicious way to help me achieve my goal of eating seafood twice per week.
The fish is packed in cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil and reminds me of the rich flavor of the canned tuna I bought in Italy when I led study abroad trips for culinary nutrition students. I love that I can easily find these pouches at all of my local grocery stores to enjoy regularly!
About the recipe
This healthy tuna melt recipe combines the concept of a grilled tuna melt and a tuna melt panini into a convenient wrap you can crisp in a skillet.
When I developed this recipe, I thought it would be fun to give myself a “pantry challenge.” So many of you request easy recipes with minimal ingredients from staples you have on hand. So, I limited the ingredients for this tuna melt wrap to exactly 5 of my favorite pantry staples.
The tuna and salmon pouches from StarKist E.V.O.O.™ are gluten and soy-free, making them easy to fit into a wide variety of healthy eating plans. This recipe is also simple to make completely gluten-free by choosing a gluten-free wrap.
- Whole grain wrap - for fiber and protein.
- Spreadable Swiss cheese, or any other soft, creamy cheese you can spread
- Dijon mustard - for a hint of acidity and tanginess.
- StarKist E.V.O.O.™ Wild-Caught Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Olive tapenade - a convenient and flavorful spread for adding rustic, earthy flavor to sandwiches, wraps, vinaigrettes, and more!
- Layer the ingredients into the center of the tortilla wrap. Fold it up burrito-style, then toast it in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, just like you would for a grilled cheese.
- That’s it! Super simple, right?
For the wrap, we are using tuna packed in olive oil and avoiding fresh produce inside the tortilla. This keeps the tuna wrap from getting soggy. The spreadable cheese also acts as a barrier between the tortilla and filling.
Toasting the wrap in the skillet makes it golden brown and crispy on the outside, while keeping the filling hot and melty - YUM!
You can make these tuna wraps up to 1 day ahead. Store them on a covered plate or tray in the fridge until you are ready to toast.
My favorite way to serve this healthy tuna melt is with a simple salad and wedge of lemon on the side. This Everyday Springtime Salad or Simple Kale Salad would be perfect. A side of fresh fruit or fruit salad would also be a delicious and colorful way to get more plant-based nutrition into the meal.
Are you ready to make this 5-Ingredient Tuna Melt Wrap? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you!
Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
5-Ingredient Tuna Melt Wrap
- 1 (8-10 inch) whole grain wrap (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons spreadable Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pouch StarKist E.V.O.O.™ Wild-Caught Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons olive tapenade
- Place the wrap on a flat surface or cutting board. Spread on the cheese and mustard in the center of the wrap. Top with the tuna, followed by the olive tapenade. Fold the wrap burrito-style.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil into the heated skillet. Place the wrap seam-side down into the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2-3 minutes to heat the wrap throughout.
- Transfer the wrap to a plate and enjoy immediately while hot!
Thank you to StarKist E.V.O.O.™ for sponsoring this post.
Similar recipes to enjoy: