Festive Kale Salad with Apple Cider VinaigrettePrint Pin
For the salad
- 1 (one-pound) bag of fresh chopped kale leaves, about 10 cups picked through and stems removed
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts shredded (I remove the ends, cut in half, and then shred into thin strips lengthwise with a knife)
- ¾ cup dried cherries plus an additional 2 tablespoons for garnish
- ½ cup shelled pistachios roughly chopped (use roasted sunflower seeds for a nut-free alternative), plus an additional 2 tablespoons for garnish
- ¾ cup shaved Parmesan cheese (Creamy Toscano Cheese Soaked in Syrah is also a wonderful option on this - find it at most cheese counters) plus an additional 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple sliced into very thin 1’’ pieces (about 1 ½ cups), plus some thin wedges for garnish
!For the vinaigrette:
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup neutral-flavored oil grapeseed, canola, safflower, walnut
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Making the vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a Mason jar or container with a lid. Attach lid tightly and shake to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Massaging the kale and sprouts:
- Place kale leaves and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add ½ cup of the vinaigrette. Use clean hands to gently massage the vinaigrette into the veggies for about two minutes. They will appear wet and shiny and the volume of the bowl will have reduced by ⅓. Refrigerate for at least two hours and up to six hours before adding the other ingredients and serving.
- In the bowl with the kale and brussels sprouts, add the cherries, pistachios (or sunflower seeds) cheese, and apples. Add extra vinaigrette as needed to taste. Toss to combine. Place the salad on a large serving platter. Fluff the salad with clean hands to add height + volume. Gently sprinkle the reserved nuts, frui and cheese on top. Fan the apple wedges in a design of your choice. Serve immediately.