These Pecan Butter and Peach Jam Crumble Bars are my go-to cookie recipe right now for summer picnics, snacks, and a unique take on the traditional peanut butter and jelly bar!
I love it when people put their own creative take on a traditional recipe. Whether you call it a mash-up, fusion, or twist, it's always fun to shake things up and put a dash of unexpected in your cooking. I've always enjoyed a good PB&J combo, and last week when I made this pecan butter, I thought, "hey....a pecan butter bar of some sorts sounds really good!" And then I thought of the stash of homemade peach jam sitting in my pantry....and voila! The Pecan Butter and Peach Jam Crumble Bar was born. Pecans and peaches: together, they make a charming Southern-inspired pair!
Of course, since we are talking creative twists on recipes, you might want to make your own unique version of a jam crumble bar! Some of the ones that have been swirling around in my head include:
- Substitute Nutella for the nut butter and pair with strawberry jam
- Use sunflower butter as a nut-free alternative and pair with apricot jam
- Experiment with substituting oat flour for the white whole wheat flour as a gluten-free alternative
- Substitute coconut oil for the brown butter in the recipe and add shredded coconut to the dough
- Almond butter and cherry jam
- A top-secret, very fall-ish version that I've got in my back pocket to share with you in the future....
See?!? The possibilities are endless!
Once I have a stash of these deliciously jammy crumb bars, I love to serve them with yogurt, fruit, and coffee for breakfast, pack them for picnics or hiking excursions (we are really loving hikes at Radnor Lake right now!), or have them as an afternoon snack with an iced coffee or tea! They are good served chilled from storage in the fridge, and will keep up to one week. These chewy jam crumble bars also freeze exceptionally well, so while you are at it, why not make a double batch and freeze some for later?
If you decide to give these Pecan Butter and Peach Jam Bars a try, please let me know how they turn out for you and leave a comment below and rate this recipe below!
This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
I’d also love to feature your creation in my weekly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured! Quick and easy recipe videos are available on my YouTube channel, and lots of menu inspiration on my Pinterest boards.
Pecan Butter and Peach Jam Crumble Bars
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecan butter (Recipe here: https://sweetcayenne.com/homemade-pecan-butter/)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1 ¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup peach jam or preserves
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the stick has melted, whisk the butter over the heat until small brown bits form at the bottom and the melted butter has a nutty fragrance. Be sure to whisk constantly so that the milk solids in the butter do not burn as they are browning. Transfer the brown butter to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Press ⅔ of the dough into the prepared pan with your hands, being sure to press it firmly into an even layer. Spread the peach jam over the top of the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough in ½’’ crumbles over the top of the jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove the pan from oven and transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes, then transfer the pan to the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours. This will allow for easier cutting.
- Use the parchment paper overhang to carefully remove the uncut bars from the pan. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 16 bars. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Leftover bars can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days.