This Greek-style roasted zucchini with feta is a simple side you can make in a snap to enjoy all summer long!
It's that time of year again - we all know it. The time when you feel like the precious, lazy(er) days of sweet summertime slip through your fingertips like the sand you just sunk your toes in at the beach. If you're one of those fall fanatics that's already lighting cinnamon apple candles and drinking pumpkin spice lattes, we can't be friends.
Wait, no, just kidding. We can be friends. Just let me mourn the last few days of summertime and soak up a few more rays, eat my fill of watermelon, grill everything in sight, and delay any talk of "back to school," football, going to a pumpkin patch and wearing sweaters as long as possible. Preferably until after Labor Day. Then I'll drink a PSL with you.
If you are like me and want to get in all the light and refreshing summery foods in before fall takes over, go to the market right away and snatch up some late summer squash for this recipe. It's a laid-back, no-fuss way to use up garden-fresh herbs, zucchini and/or squash that involves a massage. Yes, you read that right. We're massaging veggies here while wishing we were getting our own - on the beach while listening to the waves. Veggies have it so good.
After olive oil, fresh herbs, bright lemon zest, and a little salt and pepper are massaged into the squash, we let them marinate for a bit to infuse them with all the flavors. Next, a quick roast is in order to soften them just a bit. Opt for grilling instead of roasting, if you wish. Give them a sprinkle of tangy, creamy feta before the last few minutes in the heat to let the feta melt a bit. Enjoy on toast, as a pita sandwich filling, over orzo with grilled chicken - the possibilities are endless and delicious! Oh - and p.s. - plan for leftovers. You'll want to eat this more than once!
Did you make this roasted zucchini recipe? If so, I'd love to hear about it! Leave a comment below or tag a picture of your creation on Twitter or Instagram with @sweetcayenne5 - it's always fun to connect with you!
If you want more, sign up for my newsletter. You get a free cookbook at sign up and will receive members-only freebies each month.
Greek-Style Roasted Zucchini with Feta
- 4 medium zucchini quartered
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the zucchini in a bowl or baking dish, along with the olive oil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Massage the oil and other ingredients into the zucchini with your hands until everything is incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the refrigerator and place the spears on a baking sheet (I like to line my pan with parchment paper for easier cleanup. Roast for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle the crumble feta on top of the zucchini. Return the pan and roast 5 minutes more, or until desired texture is reached (I like mine to be slightly crunchy and maintain some texture).
- Use a spatula to transfer the zucchini spears and feta onto a serving dish and enjoy while hot.