This mini chicken tostadas are baked to crispy perfection with white cheddar cheese and topped with a refreshing apple jicama slaw. The fresh fall flavor is great for party and game day menus!
About the recipe
These mini chicken tostadas are pretty much the cutest little appetizer you could make. But even if "cute" isn't a qualifier you care about, who doesn't love a good finger food?
Other than dessert, I would have to say appetizers are my favorite food category. I could eat a whole meal of just apps and 'zerts! And a Mexican-themed appetizer menu with lots of chips, queso, and guac? Heaven.
These mini tostadas are a healthy, gluten-free appetizer that are just as fun to make as they are to eat. You cut mini tortillas with a cookie cutter, crisp them up, then top them with a seasoned shredded chicken and white cheddar cheese.
Rotisserie chicken is perfect for these tostadas and tastes amazing paired with a sharp white cheddar and tangy, crunchy apple slaw. This appetizer is perfect for fall when the weather is still pretty warm, and is very simple to put together. Let's make some!
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded, cooked chicken
- White cheddar cheese
- Olive oil
- Cumin, ancho chile powder, salt and pepper
- Fresh lime juice
Step 1: Cut the tortillas into mini rounds and bake at 375°F until crispy.
Step 2: While the tortillas bake, drain shredded apple and jicama in a colander. Next, mix the shredded chicken with some seasonings.
Step 3: Layer two mini tortillas with shredded chicken and cheese. Bake for 6-7. minutes until the cheese as melted. While the tostadas bake, combine all ingredients for the slaw in a bowl.
Step 4: Top each tostada with some slaw and a sprig of cilantro for garnish, if desired. Serve right away!
I think these mini chicken tostadas would be perfect as part of a game day menu during football season! They are great for still-warm, early Fall weather because of the refreshing apple and jicama slaw, and are a really fun finger food to serve friends and family. Pair them with any of the following appetizers:
- Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes
- I Heart You Pizza Dip
- Party Crudités with Parmesan Herb Dip
- Ranch Pretzel Bites
- Buffalo Cheddar Popcorn
- Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
Are you ready to make these mini chicken tostadas? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you!
Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes!
I’d also love to feature your creation in my weekly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured! Quick and easy recipe videos are available on my YouTube channel, and lots of menu inspiration on my Pinterest boards.
Chicken Cheddar Tostadas with Apple Jicama Slaw
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups finely-shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 medium Fuji apples, peeled and shredded finely on a box grater
- 1 small jicama, about 1 pound, shredded finely on a box grater
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut two rounds out of each tortilla with a round biscuit cutter (about 1 ½ - 2inches wide). You should have a total of 48 rounds from 24 tortillas. Place them on a baking sheet and coat the tops lightly with cooking spray. Flip the rounds over and lightly spray the other side. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and crispy, flipping halfway for even cooking.
- While the tortilla rounds bake, place the shredded apple and jicama in a colander to drain. Combine the cooked chicken with the oil, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Toss well for even coating.
- Press any liquid out of the apple and jicama with a rubber spatula before transferring them to a medium bowl. Combine the shredded apple and jicama mixture with the lime juice and cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the tostadas by placing a scant tablespoon of chicken on the tops of 24 tortilla rounds on a baking sheet. Add cheese to the top of the chicken, then top with another layer of tortilla rounds, chicken and cheese. You should have a total of 24, two-layer tostadas. Bake the assembled tostadas for 5-6 minutes so that the cheese melts.
- Remove tostadas from oven and place on a serving platter. Top each with a mound of apple jicama slaw and a few cilantro leaves for garnish. Serve immediately.