Welcome to the first edition of Menu Musings! This is a new series I will be doing once per month where I feature a themed menu I’ve put together along with a timeline of how to accomplish it in an approachable way! I’m always thinking about menus and what would pair well together for different gatherings. But the menu is only an idea until I figure out if it is feasible! The last thing you want to be as a hostess is stressed, so I love to think of a timeline that will help me prep ahead or utilize semi-homemade items in a unique way to save on time.
Easter is just a week away, and I plan on helping my mom create a lovely brunch for our family that will be in town. So I’ve put together a compilation of what we are thinking of preparing, along with a timeline of how/when I plan to prepare each menu item. I hope you find it helpful or at least get some inspiration for your own menu!
Tablescape | Simple Blue and White Theme – I love the simplicity of this themed table that utilizes white place settings (which most people already have) accented with tone-on-tone shades of soft blues and a chocolate bunny. It’s classic, unfussy, and easy to recreate.
Beverage | Strawberry Citrus Easter Punch – being a born-and-raised Southern gal, I love a good brunch punch! The strawberry citrus flavors in this one complement other items on the menu and I love the rosy hue of this beverage. You can easily make it non-alcoholic by using sparkling lemon water or lemonade instead of champagne.
Appetizer | Surprise Inside Pimento Cheese Tartlets – the oozing cheese and strawberry jam center of these tartlets make the perfect amuse bouche before the meal and will get your guests excited for what’s to come!
Salad | Shaved Asparagus and Snap Pea Salad – light crunch and fresh, vibrant spring veggie flavor make this a salad with lots of wow factor. It is so easy to make these ingredients look elegant with minimal effort, so make sure this salad is a prime focal point of your table!
Fruit | Fruit Salad with Yogurt – a good fruit platter is essential for any brunch gathering, and the yogurt served alongside makes for a hearty vegetarian or gluten-free option for your guests.
Quiche | Spinach and Bacon Quiche – you really cannot beat the smell of freshly baked quiche to greet your guests as they arrive. Plus, as the host or hostess, it will give you something to enjoy as you put the finishing touches on your meal! I made this quiche last year for Easter and thought it was to die for!
Muffins | Blueberry Muffins with Honeyed Oat Streusel – this is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe that I find myself turning to time and time again. The ingredients are fairly wholesome but the beautiful oat crumb topping makes them look and taste so decadent!
Dessert/Activity | Spring Cutout Cookies – lemon sugar cookies frosted with pastel-tinted buttercream make for beautiful place settings on each plate and remind guests to leave room for dessert! We have also used these cookies as an activity for guests to decorate before the meal is served. Either way, everyone is sure to love them!
- Prepare the sugar cookie dough for the Spring Cutout Cookies and chill the dough.
- Make and color the frosting for the Spring Cutout Cookies and store it in individual piping bags in the refrigerator.
- Make the pimento cheese for the Surprise Inside Pimento Cheese Tartlets and refrigerate.
- Make the pie dough for the Spinach and Bacon Quiche, as well as grate the cheese and cook the bacon pieces; refrigerate all items.
- Make the streusel for the Blueberry Muffins and refrigerate.
- Roll out and bake the Spring Cutout Cookies and store in an airtight container.
- Prep the veggies and fruits for the Shaved Asparagus and Snap Pea Salad, the Strawberry Easter Punch, and the Fruit Salad.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette for the Shaved Asparagus Salad.
- Chill the ingredients for the Easter Punch.
- Set out your tablescape and assign serving vessels + utensils for each menu item.
- Set out the buttercream frosting in the piping bags to come to room temperature. Set up a decorating station for guests to decorate their cookies.
- Prepare and bake the Spinach and Bacon Quiche.
- Prepare and bake the Blueberry Muffins.
- Assemble, bake and serve the Surprise Inside Pimento Cheese Tartlets while the quiche and muffins cool.
- Assemble the Shaved Asparagus Salad, Fruit Salad with Yogurt, and the Strawberry Citrus Easter Punch while guests enjoy drinks and the tartlets.
- Enjoy your meal and your guests!