These Weeknight Chicken Tostadas are one of my favorite healthy Mexican recipes to make on busy days! I can meal prep the ingredients ahead of time to quickly assemble a delicious tostada for a fast, flavorful, and super-satisfying meal!
I have my mom to thank for the inspiration to make these super colorful and delish Weeknight Chicken Tostadas. Whenever my entire family gets together, she has to cook for 10+ people – all with different taste preferences and major love for food! On a recent visit home, she made tostadas for everyone and had an array of toppings that we could pick and choose from. It was pure genius and everyone loved it! One of the items that really sold me on the meal was her creamy homemade ranch dressing. I’m not typically a fan of ranch, but a homemade one made all the difference and tasted so amazing on a tostada.
So thanks, Mom! Tostadas are an easy dinner Ryan and make on the reg now and always look forward to! It’s a kitchen sink kind of recipe – like pizza or tacos – where you can make something amazing by using whatever protein and fresh produce you have on hand. And today I’m sharing my ULTIMATE and very favorite tostada combo that you can meal prep and assemble at a minute’s notice. Try them out for Cinco de Mayo this upcoming weekend!
Weeknight Chicken Tostada Ingredients
- Corn and wheat-blend tortillas – specifically, the Habanero Lime Tortillas from Trader Joe’s. A corn and wheat tortilla gets a little puffy and crispy when you toast it, and is much sturdier for holding all of the tostada toppings than a corn-only tortilla. Those are just too flimsy for this type of dish!
- Simply Perfect Roast Chicken Breasts – I make these almost every week and use the chicken for a variety of easy recipes I throw together on busy nights. Using the chicken to make tostadas is a favorite use for it!
- Shredded cheese – use whatever type of cheese you have on hand that melts nicely. Pepper Jack, Monterrey Jack, Colby Jack, or cheddar are all delicious!
- Black beans – just a can of no-salt-added or reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed, will work perfectly.
- Chile Lime Seasoning from Trader Joe’s – I love to sprinkle this on the chicken before baking the tostadas for a little extra flavor. Mexican hot sauce or ground ancho chile powder would also work.
- Fresh arugula – Ryan’s favorite green leafy veggie. But use any salad green you have on hand, chopped into bite-size pieces.
- Thinly-sliced radishes – for color, shape/visual interest, and crunch!
- Lime wedges – freshly-squeezed lime juice on a hot-out-of-the-oven tostada ties all of the flavors together and gives brightness to the dish.
- Avocado Ranch Dressing – a little drizzle on top is all you need for creaminess and extra flavor!
How to Make Weeknight Chicken Tostadas
- Meal prep your chicken, avocado ranch, beans, and cheese – you can cook/shred the chicken, make the avocado ranch, drain and rinse the beans, and shred cheese up to 5 days ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator and use as needed to make tostadas for busy weeknight dinners.
- Toast your tortillas – you will want to lightly toast your tortillas before topping them so they get nice and crispy – hence the TOAST in tostada! Poke holes in your tortilla with a fork before toasting, otherwise it will puff up like this…..
- Top your tortillas – if your tortilla puffs slightly, just poke the air bubbles gently with a fork before you top with chicken, beans, cheese, and seasonings (pictured below).
- Bake the tostadas – you want to bake them until the cheese melts…7-8 minutes or so.
- Slice a few veggies – while your tostada bakes, you can quickly slice any fresh veggies you want for the toppings.
- Top the tostadas with fresh veggies and avocado ranch – I top the baked tortilla with fresh veggies like radish, greens, peppers, corn, etc. Things that I would put on a salad and not want cooked in the oven. Drizzle on a little bit of avocado ranch and you are ready to dig in!
- Use Chile Citrus Roasted Pork Tenderloin, smoked brisket, turkey breast, or pan-seared cod/tilapia/mahi mahi for the protein. If you choose the seafood route, add the cooked seafood after you have baked the cheese and beans onto the tostada, as it will likely dry out in the oven.
- Make it vegetarian – the combo of beans and cheese on the tostada will be a hearty source of protein as is, so a vegetarian version of these will be very satisfying!
- Change up the veggies – feel free to use whatever fresh veggies you have on hand: fresh herbs, corn, peppers, tomatoes, peaches, jicama, or shredded cabbage are all great options.
- Sauce it up with salsa or a cilantro lime vinaigrette – if avocado ranch isn’t your thing, top your tostadas with your favorite salsa or a simple cilantro lime vinaigrette!
Cinco De Mayo Menu Pairings
- Sweet and Smoky Roasted Plantains
- Blackberry Lime Spritzers
- Mango Granita
- Fresh Lime Tart with Blackberry Sauce
Are you ready to try these Weeknight Chicken Tostadas? I’m so excited for you to try this recipe. Once you get the chance to make it, please let me know how it turns out for you! Leave a comment and rate the recipe below. This will help me with the creation of future recipes! I’d also love to feature your creation in my monthly newsletter, so you can upload a photo to Instagram or Twitter with the tag @sweetcayenne5 to be featured!
Weeknight Chicken Tostadas
- 1 8-inch corn and wheat-blend tortilla, per tostada (I use the Habanero Lime Tortillas from Trader Joe's)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese, per tostada (pepper jack, cheddar, co-jack or Monterrey jack all work!)
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken, per tostada
- 2 tablespoons black beans, per tostada
- 1/4 teaspoon Chile Lime Seasoning from Trader Joe's, per tostada (substitute with Mexican hot sauce or dried ancho chile powder)
- 1 cup fresh arugula leaves, per tostada
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced radishes, per tostada
- 1 wedge fresh lime, per tostada
- 2 tablespoons Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing, per tostada
- Preheat oven to 375℉. Place tortilla on a baking sheet and pierce holes in it with a fork. Bake the tortilla for 7 minutes to crisp it up.
- Remove tortilla from oven. Top with cheese, chicken, beans, and seasoning. Bake for 7-8 minutes until the tostada is crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Top the tostada with fresh arugula, radish, lime juice, and avocado ranch. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin this, pretty please!